Develop quality, reliable, sustainable and resilient infrastructure, including regional and transborder infrastructure, to support economic development and human well-being, with a focus on affordable and equitable access for all
Promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and significantly raise industry’s share of employment and gross domestic product
Increase the access of small-scale industrial and other enterprises
Upgrade infrastructure and retrofit industries to make them sustainable, with increased resource-use efficiency and greater adoption of clean and environmentally sound technologies and industrial processes
Enhance scientific research to upgrade the technological capabilities of industrial sectors in all countries
It encompasses three aspects of sustainable development: infrastructure, industrialisation and innovation.
• Infrastructure provides the basic physical systems and structures essential to the operation of a society or enterprise.
• Industrialisation drives economic growth, creates job opportunities and thereby reduces income poverty.
• Innovation advances the technological capabilities of industrial sectors and prompts the development of new skills.
Inclusive and sustainable industrial development is the primary source of income generation, allows for rapid and sustained increases in living standards for all people, and provides the technological solutions needed for environmentally sound industrialisation.
The objectives of SDG9 are to generate employment and income, bring prosperity, and build sustainable and prosperous societies around the world. In other words, it benefits economic growth, as sustainable industrialisation is responsible for lifting communities out of poverty.
Actions by organisations may include:
- Invest in innovation and new technologies
- Invest in research and development
- Finance projects that have the goals of building roads, schools, and businesses
- Finance social entrepreneurs/non-profit organisations
- Encourage sustainable innovation through educating organisational leaders
Individuals can also help with SDG9:
- Purchase sustainable products and services
- Donate to charitable research institutes
- Make use of the most efficient and sustainable transport systems
- Encourage people to access the internet and reduce the use of printed material