Despite some positive signs toward reducing inequality in some dimensions, such as a reduction in relative income inequality in some countries and preferential trade status benefiting lower-income countries, inequality persists.
Inequalities are deepening for vulnerable populations in countries with weaker health systems and those facing existing humanitarian crises. Refugees, migrants, indigenous peoples, older persons, people with disabilities and children are at risk of being left behind.
How can we pursue SDG10?
The objectives of SDG10 are to promote equality in society. Businesses can do their bit to help achieve its goal.
Actions by individuals and organisations may include:
- Be an equal opportunity employer
- Through personal and corporate voluntary/charitable work, help people better themselves and experience others from diverse backgrounds.
- Develop products and services tailored for poor customers (e.g. mobile-based money transfer services for unbanked consumers).
- Improve access to goods and services for people living in poverty, e.g. through core business, policy dialogue, and social investment.
- Recruit, train and employ local community members, including those living in poverty, and integrate them into your value chain as producers, suppliers, distributors, and vendors.
- Invest in business-driven poverty eradication activities, e.g. develop a living wage policy.
- Partner with civil society networks to provide education and entrepreneurial skills training.
SDG10 aims to "Reduce inequality within and among countries".
It has associated aims that include:
Progressively achieve and sustain income growth of the bottom 40 per cent of the population at a rate higher than the national average
Empower and promote the social, economic and political inclusion of all, irrespective of age, sex, disability, race, ethnicity, origin, religion or economic or other status
Ensure equal opportunity, by eliminating discriminatory laws, policies and practices and promoting appropriate legislation, policies and action
Adopt policies, especially fiscal, wage and social protection policies, and progressively achieve greater equality
Ensure enhanced representation and voice for developing countries in decision-making in global international economic and financial institutions
Facilitate orderly, safe, regular and responsible migration and mobility of people
Good Dividends in partnership with QuoLux™ provide purpose-led leadership training programmes to enable leaders to align their businesses with Sustainable Development Goals.