Ensure universal access to affordable, reliable and modern energy services.
Increase substantially the share of renewable energy in the global energy mix.
Double the global rate of improvement in energy efficiency.
Despite significant progress up to 2021 on improving access to electricity, increasing renewable energy use in the electricity sector and improving energy efficiency, the world is still falling short in providing affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
Due to global events, 2022 has seen substantial increases in fuel costs and threats to carbon-based fuels supplies for all energy users. The number of households experiencing fuel poverty is showing a dramatic rise, which in turn reduces the money available purchasing food and goods.
There is much that can be done by individuals and organisations to reduce energy consumption and increase the use of sustainably-sourced energy.
- Encourage all employees and their families to have access to and use reliable and affordable energy sources by investing in local infrastructure to establish accessible energy services.
- Commit to sourcing 100% of operational electricity needs from renewable sources.
- Reduce the internal demand for transport by prioritising telecommunications (e.g. Teams and Zoom) and incentivise less energy-intensive modes such as train travel over auto and air travel.
- Integrate renewable energy into employee benefits packages, subsidising the capital expenditures associated with residential solar or electric vehicle investments.
- Prioritise energy efficiency across operations through tools such as internal carbon price and science-based target setting to reduce overall energy demand.
- Purchase industry-leading low energy consumption equipment e.g. PCs, cars, light bulbs, etc.
The benefits are tangible in terms of reduced financial costs and impact on the environment.